Traits are pieces of information about a customer, like their plan, number of licenses, name, etc.
In the Traits view for an account, you can see all the currently defined trait values for that account. Traits are separated by their source: Custom traits are traits defined in Vitally, and traits from each of your integrations (e.g. Segment, Stripe, Mixpanel, etc.) are visible on their own tabs.
Both custom traits and traits from your integrations can be edited. Just click into the field for that trait, change the value, and hit save to save your changes when you're done editing!
You can do the same from an Account View, giving you spreadsheet-like ability to edit your data. Any cell that, when hovered over, highlights blue can be edited with a double-click.
When in an Account or User View, you can use the Select All box at the top-left and the Update Traits bulk action at the bottom of the screen.
- If the format for a trait is a different type than you expect (e.g string instead of number), you can change the type by navigating to the Traits section of your account settings.
- If you edit a trait that is syncing to Vitally via an integrated data source, if the data is resynced via the integration, your edit will be overwritten.
Like most CRMs, you can also define traits for your accounts and users that are managed exclusively in Vitally. To do so, navigate to the Traits section of your account settings (or get there via Quick Jump).
- String: a short text value
- Number: an integer or decimal value
- Date: a past or future date value
- Boolean: a true/false style checkbox
- Multi-select: an array; select all values that apply
- Text Area: a long text field
- File Attachment: upload a file to be viewed or downloaded.
Additional File Attachment types can be added under Settings > Security
In the above screenshot, notice how there are 3 predefined options, each rendered as a colorful tag. Both custom traits and your integration traits support this! When creating or editing your trait, if you define some initial options, you can control just how those options render in Vitally.
As long as an account has a trait value with a defined colorful tag, then that trait will automatically render with a bit more pop 🎉
Each trait in Vitally has a source, a name, a type, and a status. You can manage the attributes of your traits and create new custom traits in the Traits section of your Account Settings (or get there via Quick Jump).
Each trait has one of three possible statuses in Vitally, all related to how they are displayed:
- Visible: The default state. We'll show these traits normally.
- Hidden: Hidden traits will not be shown in Vitally. Use this when you receive traits from an integration that you don't care about seeing in Vitally.
- Pinned: Pinned traits will be shown at the top of your trait lists. Use pinned traits to prioritize the traits you look at frequently.
Q: If a trait is updated in Vitally for a churned account, do we push that data that update out? Or only for subscribed accounts?
A: We push all non-ignored accounts so it should include churned