👋 Hello there, and welcome to Vitally! In this doc, we’ll provide a brief overview on what Vitally is, our core concepts and features, and the steps to take to get up and running with the platform. Let’s dig in!
Vitally is a platform that provides powerful reporting, alerts, and analytics across your unified customer data. Our goal is to help B2B SaaS companies build a growing, successful customer base. Because of that, we are often labeled as a Customer Success platform, which is true! But there are a few things we do differently from other Customer Success tools:
- We focus exclusively on B2B SaaS companies and the problems they experience.
- We have dedicated tools and analytics aimed at helping companies with self-service trials convert more of those trials into paying customers.
- We believe the best way to create successful customers is to ensure they are successfully, and continuously, using your product. Because of that, our product analytics capabilities paired with our ability to customize those analytics to measure your product’s unique features are second to none.
- We provide powerful analytics across all your customer data, including subscriptions and conversations. You shouldn’t need a separate subscription analytics tool when using Vitally 📈
- We wrap everything up in a super fast and delightful UI. There are too many slow and clunky Customer Success tools out there, and the world doesn’t need another one 😜
Unifying your customer data
Vitally can unify all your customer data under a single profile, layering that data with powerful metrics, reports, and alerts. Let’s see how!
Integrating Vitally with your product
Because of our robust product analytics capabilities, naturally, the first step to take in your Vitally account is to connect Vitally with your product. You have 3 options here:
- Segment - If you are a Segment user, you can forward your Segment data to Vitally in real-time.
- Mixpanel - If you are a Mixpanel user, you can import your most recent Mixpanel data and sync it with Vitally moving forward.
Once you’ve integrated Vitally with your product, you should start to see and be able to report on 4 types of data in Vitally:
- Accounts - Accounts are the businesses/organizations using your product. Because Vitally is built specifically for B2B companies, almost all data and reporting abilities are built around accounts. For example, users, revenue, alerts, and metrics in Vitally are all associated to accounts rather than individual users.
- Users - Users are the individual users (at each Account) using your product. For a user to be of any use in Vitally, they must be associated to some account.
- Events - Events are the individual interactions users have with your product (e.g. “Login”, “Button clicked”).
- Traits - Traits are the individual properties you track for each account (e.g. MRR, location, the customer’s plan).
Vitally provides some useful, out-of-the-box product metrics for your accounts as you send us your product data, like event totals and percentage of active users per account. See this article for more info on our default product metrics.
Integrating your customer subscriptions (e.g. MRR, renewal date, churn) with Vitally
With your product data flowing into Vitally and your accounts starting to show, you’ll naturally want to be able to determine each account’s ‘stage’ in the customer lifecycle - i.e. which accounts are trials, how much MRR does each paying customer have, which accounts have churned, etc.
There are currently 4 ways to send each customer’s subscription details to Vitally:
- Stripe - If you are a Stripe user, we can import and sync your Stripe data into Vitally.
- Recurly - If you are a Recurly user, we can import and sync your Recurly data into Vitally.
- Zapier - If you use a billing tool with a Zapier integration (e.g. Chargify, Chargebee), you can leverage our Zapier integration to forward your subscription data to Vitally. This doc details how to configure Zapier to work with Chargebee.
- Reuse your product data - If you already track subscription details in the product data you send to Vitally, you can reuse that data to track each customer’s subscription in Vitally. This doc describes how to configure that.
Integrating your customer conversations with Vitally
One of the most important aspects of Customer Success is to maintain a healthy pace of communication with your customers, so naturally, it makes sense to have access to those conversations in Vitally. There are currently 3 ways to sync your customer conversations into Vitally:
- Gmail - Every Vitally user can connect their Gmail account to their Vitally profile to automatically sync their customer emails into Vitally.
- Intercom - If you are an Intercom user, you can sync your Intercom conversations, and even your companies and users, into Vitally.
- Zapier - If your communication tool has Zapier support, you can leverage our Zapier integration to forward your conversations to Vitally.
Integrating other customer data (e.g. support tickets, NPS data) with Vitally
Vitally is an extremely flexible tool, and that flexibility allows you to track any customer data you like in Vitally, even if we don’t have a native integration with the data/tool in question. Tools like Zapier and our API can be used to track any other customer interactions as events in Vitally. We then have several features (documented in detail below) that can help you display that data in logical, readable formats.
There’s a ton of ways to get creative here, but these 2 examples are some of the more common strategies we see customers implement in their own Vitally accounts:
- Tracking each account’s NPS score as a custom metric: Success Metrics are custom KPIs defined using the data you feed into Vitally. So, as long as you forward NPS submissions/scores to us, you can then configure a Success Metric to track the average NPS scores for each account! This article details an example process you could implement.
- Tracking open tickets as custom data: Elements are like ‘smart’ data - they allow you to associate similar (but separate) events together to track the current ‘state’ of something. For example, say you send us a “Ticket opened” event when customers open a new support ticket and a “Ticket closed” event when open tickets get resolved. Elements allow you to automatically track a list of open/unresolved tickets for each account using those events!
Organizing & Prioritizing Your Accounts
With your product usage and subscription data flowing into Vitally, keeping your accounts well-organized while automatically surfacing high-priority accounts is a must! Our powerful segmentation and alerts help ensure you maintain a healthy, organized, and growing customer base.
Vitally's segmentation abilities help you organize your accounts into any number of segments, using any data points. Organizing accounts by market, location, product usage, or MRR are just some of the possibilities! Once you’ve created a segment, you’ll be able to easily access its accounts, KPIs, and other data as you navigate Vitally.
Indicators are automated alerts that detect significant opportunity or risk states accounts may transition in to during their lifetime with your product. You can assign Indicators to team members, take notes on them, and even manually resolve Indicators that have been addressed.
Rules allow you to automatically run ‘actions’ on accounts that satisfy certain rules and/or exhibit certain behaviors. You can auto-assign CSMs to accounts, fire Indicators, and add accounts to segments using our powerful rules engine.
If you have a self-service trial program (i.e. anyone can start using your product), being able to auto-detect trials in your target market is a must. Paired with our Clearbit integration, Vitally can automatically 'score’ new trials (from 0-100%) based on their fit with your target market!
Power Features & Customizing Vitally For Your Product
Our goal is to help you create a growing, successful customer base, and to do that, we need to be able to track the features and metrics unique to your product and business. These power features help ensure every customer experiences your product's unique value.
Elements help you understand how customers have configured your product, so you can ensure each implementation is setup for success. With Elements, you can easily track which integrations, configuration options, and features are currently in use at each account.
Success Metrics are custom KPIs defined using the data you feed into Vitally and calculated for each of your accounts. For each Success Metric you create, we’ll track each account’s historical values so you can ensure customers are trending in the right direction!
Going Beyond Vitally - Integrating Us With Your Other Tools
We believe that your data is just that - yours. Given that, our aim is to make it super easy for you to access our unique customer insights in your other customer tools, giving you total power and flexibility in how you setup your Customer Success process.
- An overview of the data we can forward to your other tools: This article details our data-out integrations and the updated customer data we can automatically send to Segment, Intercom, or a custom webhook.
- Zapier: Zapier is a powerful tool to integrate different products together - we highly encourage its use! We have a variety of supported actions and triggers in Zapier that can be used for endless automation with other tools. Note though that our Zapier integration is in beta (which means we don’t currently show in their app catalog). This just means you need to accept an invitation to use our Zapier integration, which can be done in your Vitally account’s settings.
We have one goal at Vitally - to provide you with the tools, data, and resources necessary to build a growing, successful customer base. In our quest to help you achieve this goal, we hope this resources prove useful!
Our live demo has examples for pretty much every feature we have - please feel free to revisit it whenever you'd like some inspiration for your own account!
Follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on new updates and resources!